The coveted prize for mystery writers, the Edgar Allan Poe Award for 2021 has been announced. Awards in a total of 12 categories were announced, honouring the best literary works in mystery fiction, non-fiction, and television published or produced in 2020. Considering the ongoing Coronavirus Pandemic, the 2021 Edgar Award was presented via an online event.
According to the official press release, following are the recipients of the awards for 2021:
- Best Novel – Deepa Anappara for Djinn Patrol on the Purple Line (Penguin Random House)
- Best First Novel – Caitlin Mullen for Please See Us (Simon & Schuster)
- Best Paperback Original – Alyss Cole for When No One is Watching (HarperCollins)
- Best Fact Crime – Eric Eyre for Death in Mud Lick (Simon & Schuster)
- Best Critical/Biographical – Christina Lane for Phantom Lady (Chicago Review Press)
- Best Short Story – Maaza Mengiste for Dust Ash, Flight (Akashic Books)
- Best Juvenile – Elizabeth C. Bunce for Premeditated Myrtle (Workman Publishing)
- Best Young Adult – Katie Alender for The Champion (Penguin Young Readers)
- Best Televsion Episode Teleplay – John Morton for “Episode 1, Photochemistry” – Dead Still (Acorn TV)
- Robert L. Fish Memorial Award – Colette Bancroft for “The Bite”, Tampa Bay Noir (Akashic Books)
- The Simon & Schuster Mary Higgins Clark Award – Elsa Hart for The Cabinets of Barnaby Mayne (Minotaur Books)
- The G.P. Putnam’s Sons Sue Grafton Memorial Award – Rosalie Knecht for Vera Kelly is Not a Mystery (Tin House Books)
About the Edgar Award
The Edgar Allan Poe Award, commonly known as the Edgar Award is presented by the New York-based organization, Mystery Writers of America. The award named after one of the all-time greatest American authors, and one of the biggest names in mystery fiction, also regarded as the pioneer of the genre. The award honours mystery writing in fiction and non-fiction and is currently in its 75th edition.
Noman Shaikh is the co-founder and editor-in-chief of Bombay Reads. He grew up in Mumbai, a city he loves more than any other, and currently works as a content consultant. His expertise lies in creating high-quality academic and marketing content in the form of blogs, articles, op-eds, etc. Noman has worked with reputed brands, including Economic Times (through Spiral Media), Coinbase (through MattsenKumar), AdEngage, Della Group, GBIM Technologies, VAP Group, etc. For his published portfolio, click here. Contact Noman on noman@bombayreads for engagement.